It often has the effect of saving us from angry words, or extravagant talking, or inconsiderate jesting, or rash resolves. Some cannot carry a full cup without spilling. (Dean Scott. 2. All prosperous; all sing. A man may live from week to week in the fever of a decent covetousness, to which he gives some more specious name (for instance, desire of doing his duty by his family), till the heart of religion is eaten out of him. So let it be with us. Plummer, D. D.(ver. Misery is possible in prosperity. It takes us off from the clear contemplation of the next world, ruffles us, and makes us restless. Doubt not the power of faith and prayer to effect all things with God. Is any merry? 12): — Prayer and praise, or (in one word) worship, according to St. James, is the Christian remedy for "allaying or carrying off the fever of the mind."(A. "Do you not know what God puts us on our backs for?" For what purpose but for good does God afflict those who pray to Him? They say that all a sinner needs to do to be forgiven is to pray for forgiveness. "Rejoice in tribulation."3. Of course, the sick p… Excitements are of two kinds — secular and religious. By this we become no more servants, but friends, not only believing, but knowing what God doeth; not only obeying, but working with Him, through Christ, in His work.5. The Paperback Bible presents the Bible by the Book and is designed to be portable, readable, and truly personal with ample margins for notations. And it is no uncommon temper; for men do not like to be treated like children, and they forget that unless they are so treated they lose the children's blessing, the children's kingdom! )Discipline of afflictionDean Scott.When one considers the amount of affliction which exists in the world, we may well wonder that the simple remedy in the text is as yet an untasted medicine to so many. εὐθυμεῖ — is he right set, well hung on, as we say? Is any one desirous of gaining comfort to his soul, of bringing Christ's presence home to his very heart, and of doing the highest and most glorious things for the whole world? Excitements are of two kinds — secular and religious. The House and Senate begin their daily proceedings with prayer. Here we see one very momentous use of prayer and praise to all of us; it breaks the current of worldly thoughts. And it is no uncommon temper; for men do not like to be treated like children, and they forget that unless they are so treated they lose the children's blessing, the children's kingdom! Yet, though I cannot chant with the nightingale, or chirp with the blackbird, I had rather chatter with the swallow than be altogether silent. "Rejoice in tribulation."3. Our temporal condition is various and diverse; now afflicted, and then merry. Yet it is written — written for our comfort and our glory — written, too, for our warning, lest we fall from such privilege and grace — that the children whom God chastises are thereby even conformed to the likeness of that only begotten Son who is the brightness of His Father's glory and the express image of His person. And in what spirit can affliction be received by persons who must believe, whether they will or no, that it comes from the hand of God? Trapp. This sermon was originally preached by Dr. Justin Imel, Sr., at the Alum Creek church of Christ in Alum Creek, West Virginia. It sees the particular points in which mercy has tempered His judgments, and it feels; even if it cannot see, His lovingkindness interfused throughout the whole. Belshazzar, &c.2. "Is any afflicted? It is the mighty power of grace to keep the soul in an equal temper.3. The most ordinary of these excitements, at least in this country, is the pursuit of gain. These kept them from wilfulness and extravagance, and tempered them to the spirit of godly fear. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. "No," was the answer. Is any merry? )Discipline of afflictionDean Scott.When one considers the amount of affliction which exists in the world, we may well wonder that the simple remedy in the text is as yet an untasted medicine to so many. Doubt not the power of faith and prayer to effect all things with God. Plummer, D. D.(ver. Men who had lived all their lives in the pollutions of sin unspeakable, who had been involved in the darkness of heathenism, were suddenly brought to the light of Christian truth. It dwells and reflects on the visitation which has called it forth; it realises His presence in the cloud; and, behold, the cloud becomes a pillar of fire giving light in the darkness! Your condition is either a help or a hindrance in religion. And what is this but struggling against God; wrestling with Him, but not as Jacob did; and, therefore, coming off from the contest crippled indeed, but without the blessing which the patriarch won? Can my singing of psalms be pleasing to Thine ears, which is unpleasant to my own? In a word, it is what we call an excitement of mind. The … Is any one desirous of gaining comfort to his soul, of bringing Christ's presence home to his very heart, and of doing the highest and most glorious things for the whole world? There is no time wherein God doth not invite us to Himself. And it is no uncommon temper; for men do not like to be treated like children, and they forget that unless they are so treated they lose the children's blessing, the children's kingdom! Critical and dangerous in proportion to its real blessedness; for in proportion to the privileges we enjoy, ever will be our risk of misusing them. Instinctively men pray in troubles and sing in joy. Johns. And especially the daily prayers of the Church do this. Yes! Let us ever sing in the same spirit and in the same joy and hope.True merrimentJ. said Dr. Payson, smiling. How was it the ungovernable elements within it did not burst forth and shiver to pieces the vessel which contained them? "Is any afflicted? This certainly is natural and right; still, it is a state of excitement, and, if I might say it, all states of excitement have dangerous tendencies. Thanksgiving, or singing to God's praise, is the proper duty in the time of mercies or comforts. (4)That we may ask a gracious improvement. I have told him how to proceed. All true mirth is from the rectitude of the mind, from a right frame of soul that sets and shows itself in a cheerful countenance.(J. Now, certainly, looking at external and second causes, the miracles had much to do in securing this blessed sobriety in the early Christians. It is impossible (under God's blessing) for any one to attend the daily service of the Church "with reverence and godly fear," and a wish and effort to give his thoughts to it, and not find himself thereby sobered and brought to recollection. This means communion with God. It is impossible (under God's blessing) for any one to attend the daily service of the Church "with reverence and godly fear," and a wish and effort to give his thoughts to it, and not find himself thereby sobered and brought to recollection. Adam, Preaching This Week, WorkingPreacher.org, 2009. Our daily prayer, morning and evening, suspends our occupations of time and sense. He has one idea, and one only before him, which becomes his idol. The text in James 5:13-20 has a very community-based theological disposition. And this brings hope with it; a hope unlike the earthly hopes which we have seen mocking us and coming to nought; or, if fulfilled, mocking us still more, till we loathed their fulfilment, and despised ourselves for indulging in them; but this, a hope that maketh not ashamed; for its root is in the love of God and the Holy Spirit which He has given us; its blossom is in the multiplying graces with which the Saviour rewards every step in our sanctification; and its fruit is found in the certainty of that heavenly region where hope itself can no longer find a place, but dies into fruition, as the night dies into the morning. But He has said that "His strength is sufficient for us; for in our weakness is His strength made perfect." Critical and dangerous in proportion to its real blessedness; for in proportion to the privileges we enjoy, ever will be our risk of misusing them. When the affections are once raised, give them a right object, otherwise they are apt to degenerate and to offend in their measure, though their first occasion was lawful.5. How was it the ungovernable elements within it did not burst forth and shiver to pieces the vessel which contained them? (Dean Scott. let him pray. Let him pray; especially let him intercede. Griefs are eased by groans and utterance. Our daily prayer, morning and evening, suspends our occupations of time and sense. The Christian conversation is like a wheel — every spoke taketh its turn. All true mirth is from the rectitude of the mind, from a right frame of soul that sets and shows itself in a cheerful countenance.(J. It often has the effect of saving us from angry words, or extravagant talking, or inconsiderate jesting, or rash resolves. And if for good, then, what good would it be to have the tribulation removed before it has had its perfect work?1. Preserving the Covenant Community In Spite of Sickness and Sin. εὐθυμεῖ — is he right set, well hung on, as we say? Trapp.Gr. First, let us consider secular excitements. each week. Is any merry? If we had always continued in the way of light and truth, obeying God from childhood, doubtless we should know little of those swellings and tumults of the soul which are so common among us. let him sing psalms." When the affections are once raised, give them a right object, otherwise they are apt to degenerate and to offend in their measure, though their first occasion was lawful.5. What a state of transport must have been theirs! Thus a man is sold over into bondage to this world. Some time later, Spurgeon was getting some much-needed rest in the south of France. And these may ask the question, half-wondering, half-scoffing, "What will the afflicted man gain by praying? Let us ever sing in the same spirit and in the same joy and hope.True merrimentJ. Some cannot carry a full cup without spilling. He must not expect it. This means communion with God. There is nothing which exerts such a charm in the hour of adversity as tender, sensitive fellow-feeling. But comfort is not all we want; and God therefore gives us more.3. Mercies work one way or another; they either become the fuel of our lusts or our praises; either they make us thankful or wanton. Singing of psalms is a duty of the gospel.(T. Trapp. And it may be that this will explain many a failure in faith and duty, many a relapse into sin, which seemed impossible — ay, and was impossible — in the fervour of their devotion then I But there are many besides who have never tried. So let it be with us. James 5:13, ESV: "Is anyone among you suffering?Let him pray. It may be that they have never so prayed again — so passionately, so faithfully, so importunately! Those who have earnestly and perseveringly tried will not be at a loss to know the advantage of obeying the precept. εὐθυμεῖ — is he right set, well hung on, as we say? The jailer, who for the first time heard the news of salvation through Christ, gave evident signs of transport. Now what my music wants in sweetness, let it have in sense. Is any one of you suffering? (4)That we may ask a gracious improvement. The benefit of the rod is a fruit of the Divine grace, as well as the benefit of the Word. d. Psalm 90:12—but the wise man seeks the kingdom of God—Asking the Lord … And what is this but struggling against God; wrestling with Him, but not as Jacob did; and, therefore, coming off from the contest crippled indeed, but without the blessing which the patriarch won? James 5:13. The power of prayer is being discussed here, not the power the Spirit gave people in the first century. Yea, Lord, create in me a new heart, therein to make melody, and I will be contented with my old voice, until in due time, being admitted into the choir of heaven, I shall have another voice more harmonious bestowed upon me." It takes us off from the clear contemplation of the next world, ruffles us, and makes us restless. When the affections are stirred up on a carnal occasion, convert them to a religious use (Jeremiah 22:10). When the affections are once raised, give them a right object, otherwise they are apt to degenerate and to offend in their measure, though their first occasion was lawful.5. Singing of psalms is a duty of the gospel.(T. Awaken yourselves to this service; every new mercy calleth for a new song.7. We should therefore ask more earnestly for the forgiveness of sins than for temporal mercies. For what purpose but for good does God afflict those who pray to Him? So let it be with us. Happiness is a religious duty; recommends religion; most resembles heaven.Conclusion:1. Those who have earnestly and perseveringly tried will not be at a loss to know the advantage of obeying the precept. Did not St. Paul "pray" during his three days of blindness? They should sing songs of praise. God hath planted in a man affections for every condition, grace for every affection, and a duty for the exercise of every grace, and a season for every duty. Several conditions require several duties. "In order that we may look upward. It takes us off from the clear contemplation of the next world, ruffles us, and makes us restless. Happiness is a religious duty; recommends religion; most resembles heaven.Conclusion:1. How, then, did they escape that enthusiasm which now prevails, that irreverence, immodesty, and rudeness? This is but little, indeed, in itself; but it is much when compared with anything that any other comforter can give. When the affections are stirred up on a carnal occasion, convert them to a religious use (Jeremiah 22:10). If Any of You Do Err 5:19-20 33. Thus, indeed, a heart may be in some measure and in a few cases (for in the great number nature will rebel and revenge herself) hardened, rather than strengthened, under suffering. He who struggles with affliction without prayer struggles in his own strength alone, and rejects every other. But the more ordinary means was one which we may enjoy at this day if we choose — the course of religious services, the round of prayer and praise, which, indeed, was also part of St. Paul's discipline, as we have seen, and which has a most gracious effect upon the restless and excited mind, giving it an outlet, yet withal calming, soothing, directing, purifying it. However you try, you cannot do works to compare with those which faith and prayer accomplish in the name of Christ.(J. Such, too, is indisposition of the soul, of whatever sort, be it passion or affection, hope or .fear, joy or grief. Let him pray; especially let him intercede. "Do you not know what God puts us on our backs for?" And in what spirit can affliction be received by persons who must believe, whether they will or no, that it comes from the hand of God? How can he expect it, when he has once understood that his affliction comes from God? 13 Is anyone among you suffering? The most ordinary of these excitements, at least in this country, is the pursuit of gain. )LinksJames 5:13 NIVJames 5:13 NLTJames 5:13 ESVJames 5:13 NASBJames 5:13 KJVJames 5:13 Bible AppsJames 5:13 ParallelJames 5:13 Biblia ParalelaJames 5:13 Chinese BibleJames 5:13 French BibleJames 5:13 German BibleJames 5:13 CommentariesBible Hub, (b)Satisfaction with the measure of it. Nothing arbitrary in piety.2. "Pray." He has one idea, and one only before him, which becomes his idol. If not in the spirit of prayer, in what spirit besides? I have told him how to proceed. In such cases the object pursued naturally absorbs the mind, and excludes all thoughts but those relating to itself. All true mirth is from the rectitude of the mind, from a right frame of soul that sets and shows itself in a cheerful countenance.(J. Is any merry? How can he expect it, when he has once understood that his affliction comes from God? From patience, such patience as the mourner receives in answer to his prayer, there is a short, a scarcely perceptible step to comfort; and yet, short as the step is, this is a new gift, a most precious additional blessing. "Is any merry? And this brings hope with it; a hope unlike the earthly hopes which we have seen mocking us and coming to nought; or, if fulfilled, mocking us still more, till we loathed their fulfilment, and despised ourselves for indulging in them; but this, a hope that maketh not ashamed; for its root is in the love of God and the Holy Spirit which He has given us; its blossom is in the multiplying graces with which the Saviour rewards every step in our sanctification; and its fruit is found in the certainty of that heavenly region where hope itself can no longer find a place, but dies into fruition, as the night dies into the morning. And can more still be said? Let us ever sing in the same spirit and in the same joy and hope.True merrimentJ. Yet, though I cannot chant with the nightingale, or chirp with the blackbird, I had rather chatter with the swallow than be altogether silent. (4)That we may ask a gracious improvement. (5)That we may ask deliverance, with a submission to God's will (Psalm 34:7).6. Your condition is either a help or a hindrance in religion. Hundreds of cures have been authenticated as having been wrought in these institutions. "I cannot," he said, "make it otherwise. How was it that for fifteen hundred years the Church was preserved from those peculiar affections of mind and irregularities of feeling and conduct which now torment it like an ague? Can it be that it is too simple? If these are even the earthly fruits — as most truly, most assuredly they are — who that has once tasted their power would pray for the withdrawal of his affliction, for the removal of the earthly trial which is working the eternal blessing? All true mirth is from the rectitude of the mind, from a right frame of soul that sets and shows itself in a cheerful countenance.(J. I write according to the thoughts I feel; when I think upon God, my heart is so full of joy that the notes dance and leap, as it were, from my pen; and since God has given me a cheerful heart, it will be pardoned me that I serve Him with a cheerful spirit. The soul never worketh more sweetly than when it worketh in the force of some eminent affection. (3) They are necessary —(a)To prevent evil. If we had always continued in the way of light and truth, obeying God from childhood, doubtless we should know little of those swellings and tumults of the soul which are so common among us. Do you need to pray to receive forgiveness of your sins? He must not expect it. More guidance we need, because our duties become by every trial new and multiplied. Next, let us consider how religious excitements are set right by the same Divine medicine. In a word, it is what we call an excitement of mind. How was it that for fifteen hundred years the Church was preserved from those peculiar affections of mind and irregularities of feeling and conduct which now torment it like an ague? Let us ever sing in the same spirit and in the same joy and hope.True merrimentJ. This is but little, indeed, in itself; but it is much when compared with anything that any other comforter can give. If there was a time when those particular irregularities, which now are so common, were likely to abound, it was in the primitive Church. "I cannot," he said, "make it otherwise. Here, it is the elders; there, a priest. there is one blessing further vouchsafed even in this world to those who are sanctified and purified by suffering, so much beyond all comfort and all hope, that the Christian who recognises it in the saints who are with Christ trembles and shrinks from appropriating it to himself, lest the very chastisements of God should minister to unchristian presumption. Commentary, James 5:13-20, A.K.M. As we could not, as no Christian could pray — even though it were possible — to do away with the redeeming sufferings of His Saviour; so we may not, cannot wish deliverance from the sufferings whereby we are made unto Him. Now what my music wants in sweetness, let it have in sense. We have great cause in afflictions to use the help of prayer. What kinder office is there, when a man is agitated, than for a friend to put his hand upon him by way of warning, to startle and recall him? )Prosper in afflictionJohn Knox.Who doubteth but God did mitigate the heaviness of Joseph, although He sent not hasty deliverance in his long imprisonment; and that as He gave him favour in the sight of the jailer, so inwardly also He gave him consolation in spirit? Awaken yourselves to this service; every new mercy calleth for a new song.7. Why should he expect it? Must it not be even in the spirit of cursing? How can he expect it, when he has once understood that his affliction comes from God? Yes! Yet it is written — written for our comfort and our glory — written, too, for our warning, lest we fall from such privilege and grace — that the children whom God chastises are thereby even conformed to the likeness of that only begotten Son who is the brightness of His Father's glory and the express image of His person. By this we become no more servants, but friends, not only believing, but knowing what God doeth; not only obeying, but working with Him, through Christ, in His work.5. Prayer is the best remedy for sorrows. West Valley Family Church of the Nazarene, Glendale, Arizona, Pastor Craig Neuschwanger, February, 16, 2014. And those who are thus comforted have a further and most precious privilege — to comfort others as none else can (2 Corinthians 1:3, 4). "Is any merry? Manton. First, let us consider secular excitements. Mercies work one way or another; they either become the fuel of our lusts or our praises; either they make us thankful or wanton.